Wednesday, July 11, 2012

I said I won't hire you. Ibi force?

With the current global competitiveness and mass unemployment, the last thing you need is to successfully make it to an interview only to end up shooting yourself in the foot. I haven't attended too many interviews in my lifetime but have conducted several of them. I love interviews. It's so akin to an American Idol audition. You get to meet different characters and get to grill them as much as you want. Well, for some companies it goes beyond the grilling to really very petty things. Very few companies will be frank with you on these things because they are quite personal but for me I said I won't hire you and these are the reasons why.

I was very happy having a great conversation with my nose until you showed up for the interview. My nose asked me to shut up because it had to sneeze a few times to adjust to your terrible body odor. I sneezed
so hard tears filled my eyes. Yes, u forced me to shed those tears for your departure from the company even before your arrival. On a more serious note, will you really hire someone who makes everyone else catch a cold and frown the moment they step into the office? I won't. I said I wont until you buy that deodorant.

Please take a seat. From your CV I see you finished Mfantsipim School. Tell me. What house were you in? House B he answers. House B? Gentleman I also went to Mfantsipim and we have nothing like House B. Is this what you are bringing on board - Lies? If you can lie to me at your interview I wonder what you'll do when I ask for a project status update. I am definitely not hiring any liars. You have really insulted my intelligence. No I won't hire you.

Hi Cynthia, sorry we kept you waiting. How are you?
Fine.
You have a very impressive CV.
Thanks.
Do you have any siblings?
Yes.
...I waited a few seconds for more info but none came so I probed further. How many siblings?
Four.
... again I waited for more info but Cynthia gave me none so I asked.
How many boys, how many girls?
2 boys 2 girls.
My temper rises but I act professional against my wish. Your CV says you enjoyed working on your inventory project, what about it interests you?
Everything.
... That's it Cynthia!! I have had enough. I am trying to be as nice as I can in an interview and you're treating me like an ex boyfriend begging for a come back. Imagine asking Cynthia to take minutes at a meeting. She'll come back with a report like "meeting started. 4 people were present. We discussed. Some laughed. Some didn't. Closed after 30 minutes". Ah! I won't hire you.

After resigning from my last job I was brought in to help find someone to replace me. The above reasons are not fictitious but real reasons why I didn't hire some people who were brilliant. It sometimes goes beyond just having knowledge to being able to really fit within a team environment.

Check your body odor, communication skills, trustworthiness and team player ability. A word to the wise.


No comments:

Post a Comment