Friday, July 6, 2012

I want to see something first! Show me something

Kelvin: Boss long time. How be?
Me: cool man. How you doing?
Kelvin: I base cool. I have been trying call you since since. What happened to your number?
Me: Long story charley. Why have you been trying to hunt me down?
Kelvin: The client is now ready for the project but says he wants to see something first.
Me: Nope. Sorry. I don't do that. I won't give him even a dot until we sign and he pays a commitment fee.
Kelvin: Hmmm... I told him but he is proving difficult. He said he earlier on gave the work to some guy and paid him. The guy spent the cash and didn't deliver so he is now very careful.

At this point I am getting a little impatient with this Kelvin guy, especially for the last statement he made. I consulted my big head briefly and continued with the whatsapp chat.

Me: Assuming KLM lost his luggage when traveling to Germany. The next time he is boarding a plane to another country, will he say because KLM lost his luggage he will only pay the plane fare if he gets safely to his destination with his luggage?
Kelvin: hahahahaha
Me: yea so tell him. The same way he has been bitten once and now is scared to dish out cash before work is done, I have also been bitten more than once by clients who after seeing something get busy with other things and just waste my efforts. No way.

Prior to this conversation I met Kelvin some 30 days ago when I went to fix something on my iPhone. He had also come to the same shop to over-spec his new MacBook computer. As is usually the case with guys, it didn't take long for us to strike an acquaintance. I gave him my card, he got to know I was a developer and promised to get me some clients. I have heard that line more times than I have blinked in life so I just added his words to my archive of empty promises. Next day Kelvin called with a job. This client who now wants to see a demo before he makes a commitment to the project.

Many times developers fall victim to that popular client line "show me something first and we take it from there". I used to show them something. A few clients who are serious enough will after seeing a demo get fired up for action. They'll suggest changes and also bring data for the work to be completed. Many more clients don't really desire to have the websites. They were either forced by a relative or some circumstances to opt for a website. They also ask to see something, some demo. You spend precious hours cracking your hairy coconut just to please this client. After a day or two you come up with something you are so proud about and know will make this client yours forever. You call him and fix a day to show him this, not made-in-ghana but, made-in-heaven demo. A day before your appointment he calls you back and tells you he needs to travel out of town for a week. No shaking. A week is just 7 days you tell yourself as consolation. You call 9 days later to fix a new date for your demo. The client gives you another excuse. At this point you should see signs of your made-in-heaven demo efforts going to waste.

After experiencing that a few times I learnt my lesson and hope you don't make the same mistakes I made. Now I am so resolved never ever to even put a dot on paper if the client doesn't make a financial commitment to the project. It has helped me weed out all the non serious clients. It also means I don't loose should a client decide to pull the plugs after a demo. I still have the commitment fee that serves as compensation for work done on the demo. It's a decision that requires firmness because sometimes the clients can really rap. You may fall for their con lines.

There are however times I make exceptions to the rule and do demos before even signing a contract. These are ONLY with clients I have already done work for and trust their paying abilities. They have proven to be serious with every project they come up with.

If at this point you are still in doubt let's see how the other trades do their transactions. Will a carpenter finish building something for you before coming for payment? You at least pay for the materials and some down payment. Will any lawyer follow you to court without you first paying a deposit? How about admission to school. Will you ever be admitted without at least paying something to show you really are enrolled? The hospital. I don't know any docs who will operate on you and take the cash after a successful operation. What if you join your ancestors - will you send your ghost to come pay the medical bills? I have run out of examples. Give me some more in the comments.

"I want to see something first" - how annoying. If your clients want to see something encourage them to either get into tourism or pursue photography. They will definitely see more things there. I rest my case.


1 comment:

  1. The times are coming when its a must to own a website in Africa, they would have any options, be strong for the days aheard. You might have a story to tell :(

    ReplyDelete